Now that I have clued up the big lift of redecorating the interior of our c. 2001 house in Holyrood, I am down to the fun details of artwork. Updating the framing on our Aunt Helen original “Ode to Newfoundland” cross-stitch lovingly done for us for our wedding in 2004 rose to the top of the list.
When we were given this sentimental piece, it had brown mats and no glass (wish I could find the pics of it) so 10 years later, the first thing I did was bring it into my framer and had double off-white mats and glass put on it for about $50 (I put double neutral mats on everything and let the artwork do the talking). He said the frame was decent and recommended not replacing it (apparently the actual frame is the most expensive part of framing). I agreed but when I got it home, it still looked too country for my taste. I like a fine balance between traditional and modern and this piece was almost there.
So I decided to keep the cost down and re-finish the frame myself. I reached for my go-to Tremclad Hammered Finish Spray – 595563B522 Brown – which is all over my house on every formerly-gold doorknob, hinge, screw, handle and kitchen hardware and I keep a can handy for touch-ups and other jobs. It is a perfect blend of brown and grey with a hammered texture. The eco part of me had to reason with using a spray can but I figured the recycling I have done of outdated items around the house outweighs the impact of the spray can. FYI – you will max each can if you follow the provided instructions and clean it out properly after every use.
I will do another blog post of my before and afters of this amazing product. It has blown my mind and has saved me tons of money.
So I completely masked off the glass, as well as the first inside lip of the frame which was a deep brown/black. I wanted to keep a bit of dimension to the frame so I thought preserving the original darker inside trim would be worth it.
Totally masking off the glass is a key step in this process as the spray will get in anywhere it can and then you have the task of scraping it off, which is so not fun, considering this paint is meant to stick to all surfaces (I would know from naively spraying a 4×8’ mirror frame and spending the next few hours with paint thinner and a paint scraper). Make sure you properly press down all edges and corners of the tape to prevent paint bleeding underneath.
Once hermetically masked, spray area covered and paint instructions read (even though I know them off by heart now), I did 2 light coats of spray paint to get the best hammered finish and allowed for proper drying time in between.
When my first layer of paint had dried, with a utility knife I lightly score along the edge of the tape where it met the newly painted surface. Right after my last coat, I pulled the tape off slowly and carefully before the paint dried. If I had waited until it dried completely, I would have scored the line again before I removed the tape to make sure the tape didn’t lift the paint from the frame surface.
And there it is, as quick and economical as that…the updated version of an important piece of artwork!